Hello from Wayzata Community Church Middle School Ministry
HAPPY SUMMER!!! We hope that we will get to spend some time having fun and continuing to build relationships with you!
What’s in this newsletter:
- Summer Stretch Registration- Last Chance to Register for June 12!
- Mission Trip! The best way to get your Middle Schooler connected!
- Summer Camp
- Summer Adventures with MS Leaders- June dates are filling fast!
- Volunteer to help at Rummage Monday-Thursday 9am-12noon!
- VBS Jr Counselor
- Save these Summer Dates!
- Where’s CBW?
Last Chance to Register for June date for Summer Stretch!
I’m so excited about the incredible experience that we have in store for our incoming 6th-9th graders! Summer Stretch is an opportunity for Middle School Students to come and STRETCH their faith.
EACH DAY WILL INCLUDE A SERVICE LEARNING PROJECT, RECREATIONAL ACTIVITIES TO GROW IN RELATIONSHIP & COMMUNITY, FAITHFUL MORNING DEVOTIONAL TIME & MORE!
Start and end your summer with us. Summer Stretch is an all-day activity. Please plan to be a part of the whole day. Check-in will from 8-8:30 am and pick up will be from 4:30-5 pm at Wayzata Community Church. This means we will have a rolling start and finish with some free play time to help accommodate schedules for those that have to arrive/leave a little earlier or a little later. Friends are definitely invited to come and join in on the fun.
REGISTER FOR ONE OR ALL THREE DAYS!
- Wednesday, June 12- Folkestone Visit & Yardwork for Seniors & Adventure Park Ropes Course
- Wednesday, July 17- WCC Rummage Sale & St. Paul Saints Game
- Wednesday, August 7- Poverty Simulation & Bde Maka Ska/Lake Calhoun Water Activities
Cost is $50 per student per day and includes a t-shirt, lunch & snacks, transportation to and from activities by professional bus drivers, service projects and activities. Sign up for all 3 days and get a discount of $5 per day! Refunds will not be given for cancellations after two weeks before each Summer Stretch day. We have a limit of 40 students per day.
WE NEED ADULT VOLUNTEER LEADERS FOR EACH DAY! Adults receive a t-shirt, lunch & snacks, and a full day of fun (AND lots of gratitude!) AND YOUR MIDDLE SCHOOLER GETS TO ATTEND THAT DAY FOR FREE!
The Mission Trip is a great way for middle schoolers to get away and get to know each other better, meet new people and grow in our relationship with God. It’s a fun way to travel and experience different parts of our beautiful state and do something bigger than yourself. We also enjoy some good laughs, have great conversations and make fun memories. This year’s trip will be Sunday, July 21 (12pm)- Friday, July 2 (1pm) and is open to current 6th, 7th & 8th graders.
It’s an action-packed week! We leave from WCC on Sunday, after a church send off, and drive to Rochester where we will spend the first couple of days. We enjoy some fun on Sunday and prepare for our week together. Monday through Thursday, we have a very similar schedule. Every morning we wake up and eat breakfast and pack up our lunches, we enjoy a devotion shared by one of the Mission Trip participants and then head out for our morning project. We eat lunch as a group and discuss ways that we have grown so far and what we have learned during the day. In the afternoon, we usually go to a different organization to serve. When our work day is over, we enjoy a treat and go to a community center or rec center to shower. We return to the church to make dinner and spend time with one another. We end our night with group time where we have a discussion about the day and laugh about funny things that have happened and then head to
bed. During the middle of the day on Wednesday, we drive from one town to the next, heading to Owatonna. Friday is a relaxing day where we pack up and wrap up the trip and head home, returning to WCC by 1pm.
NOTE: If you are an incoming 9th grader and planning to go on the Mission Trip, register for High School Camp 1 or 2. (High School Camp 3 returns after we leave!)
Our Camp Staff is busy preparing Chi Rho for over 500 campers to attend WCC Summer Camp this year! If you aren’t registered yet, we still have space available for you!
HIGH SCHOOL SESSIONS- for current 8th- 11th Graders- June 8-14, June 21-27 & July 15-21
MIDDLE SCHOOL SESSIONS- for current 5th, 6th & 7th Graders- June 15-20, June 28-July 3, July 9-14
CAMP FOR EVERYONE- for ALL ages and stages- July 27-30
Back by popular demand! Last Summer was our first Summer of Summer Fun with MS Leaders and it was a BLAST! Middle School Leaders will offer different fun activities to do with a group of MSers to get to know different MSers. There will be a limit to how many Middle Schoolers can sign up. When it’s full, it’s full. We will post different events on May 15 for June, June 15 for July & July 15 for August for each month through an email and social media. Have fun as a group & enjoy meeting some new friends & spending time with other leaders! Depending on the activity, there might be a fee or you might be asked to bring something to share with the group! Last years events included biking and ice cream, going to a Ninja Warrior Course, Backyard BBQ with Lawn Games, Hiking at Baker Park, Mini Golf, Swimming at Long Lake Beach, and going to a Twins Game!
June Events Include:
- THURSDAY, JUNE 13 at 6:30pm- Andy & Jamie are excited to get out in nature and explore with you. Join them for a hike at Baker Park.
- THURSDAY, JUNE 20 from 6:15-7:30pm- Join Ann, Ellen & Anna for a Book Club. Enjoy talking about a book and eating some snacks.
- THURSDAY, JUNE 27 from 2:30-5:30pm- Chris & Lynn are excited to spend the afternoon with you mini golfing with ice cream to follow! Meet at WCC at 2:30. Bring $10 for Mini Golf & DQ stop on the way home.
LOOK FOR AN EMAIL AT THE END OF NEXT WEEK FOR JULY EVENTS REGISTRATION!
VBS Jr Counselor- for INCOMING 7th, 8th & 9th Graders!
Middle Schoolers are invited to participate in VBS as junior counselors for the week of VBS- August 12- 16. As a part of this experience, they’ll attend a training session, help paint VBS sets throughout the summer (includes snack and lunch), and receive a leader t-shirt. Then during VBS week, they get to help younger kids make crafts, sing and dance, play and have a lot of fun!
WCC RUMMAGE SALE VOLUNTEERS- for incoming 6th, 7th, 8th & 9th Graders!
The Wayzata Community Church Rummage Sale is in its 98th year (!!!) and it is a perfect opportunity for Middle Schoolers to feel independent and responsible. Choose which department you help in- toys, sporting goods, electronics, crafts, clothing, etc or be a runner for pushing full carts to where they belong. This multigenerational experience gives Middle Schoolers the opportunity to get to know some of our older adults at WCC and grow in relationship with them while feeling empowered by taking on a project. The main volunteering times are Monday-Thursday & Saturday 9am-12pm and Tuesdays 6-9pm (starting Monday, June 17 through the first week in August. Volunteer for one day, one day a week or every day, Your choice!
- Saturday, June 8-Friday, June 14- High School Camp Session 1
- Wednesday, June 12 (8/8:30am-4:30/5pm)- Summer Stretch
- Wednesday, June 12 (5:30-7pm)- Music + Message on the Front Lawn
- Saturday, June 15- Registration for July Summer Adventures opens
- Saturday, June 15-Thursday, June 20- Middle School Camp Session 1
- Wednesday, June 19 (5:30-7pm)- Music + Message on the Front Lawn
- Friday, June 21- Thursday, June 27- High School Camp Session 2
- Wednesday, June 26 (4-6pm)- Mission Trip Fundraising Prep
- Wednesday, June 26 (5:30-7pm)- Music + Message on the Front Lawn
- Friday, June 28- Wednesday, July 3- Middle School Camp Session 2
- Tuesday, July 9-Sunday, July 14- Middle School Camp Session 3
- Wednesday, July 10 (5:30-7pm)- Music + Message on the Front Lawn
- Monday, July 15-Sunday, July 21– High School Camp Session 3
- Wednesday, July 17 (8/8:30am-4:30/5pm)- Summer Stretch
- Wednesday, July 17 (4-6pm)- Mission Trip Fundraising Prep
- Wednesday, July 17 (5:30-7pm)- Music + Message on the Front Lawn
- Wednesday, July 17 (7:30-9pm)- Mission Trip Meeting
- Friday, July 19 (12-2pm)- Mission Trip Fundraising Prep
- Sunday, July 21 (10am)- Mission Trip Participants Commissioning in Worship
- Sunday, July 21 (12pm)- Friday, July 26 (1pm)– Middle School Mission Trip
- Saturday, July 27-Tuesday, July 30- All Church Camp
- Wednesday, July 31 & Thursday, August 1– WCC Rummage Sale
- Sunday, August 4 (10am)- Camp Celebration Sunday
- Wednesday, August 7 (8/8:30am-4:30/5pm)- Summer Stretch
- Monday, August 12- Friday, August 16- VBS
- Tuesday, August 13 (7-9pm)- Mission Trip Participant Movie Night
- Sunday, August 25 (9am-noon)- Mission Trip Worship Celebration & Participant & Family Reunion Brunch
- Sunday, September 15– Rally Sunday
- Wednesday, September 18- Wednesday Kickoff
Ecal Person? ADD ALL MIDDLE SCHOOL EVENTS to your Google Calendar, Apple iCal or Microsoft Outlook, please copy the following link and find the subscribe area for your calendar:
Paper Person? Pick up a paper calendar by the Middle School Corner.
App Person? You can download the Wayzata Community Church app and get notification and info sent right to your smartphone!
I LOVE SEEING WHAT MIDDLE SCHOOLERS ARE PASSIONATE ABOUT OUTSIDE OF WCC but getting their event schedule is pretty challenging sometimes! I need your help, please let me know about your middle schooler’s events (THINK PLAYS, GAMES, MUSICAL PERFORMANCES, SHOWS, SCHOLAR COMPETITIONS, ETC!)
Here’s how you can let me know about upcoming dates:
- Put a note in the Where’s CBW Mailbox in the Middle School Corner at WCC OR
- Fill out this quick 5 questions request to let me know when and where to go.
Thanks for letting me know! I try my best to make it to their events when I know about them.
To stay up-to-date with what is going on in the Middle School Program, see photos and video from past events and find out about upcoming events, check out our website or follow us on social media!
Have a beautiful weekend!
Christa Bowman Workmon
Director of Middle School Ministry
Wayzata Community Church
952-473-8877 ext. 233