All are welcome to join the Chancel Choir! The Choir sings almost every Sunday, September through June serving as the primary vocal music leadership for our Traditions worship services, 10:45 a.m. Chancel Choir is a welcoming community of adult singers who have the desire, interest and time for learning, rehearsing and singing everything from the simple and beautiful, to more challenging pieces of choral literature. As one choir member put it, we “sing everything from Palestrina to Rutter.”
Chancel Choir rehearses most Wednesdays 7:15 – 9:15 p.m., and gathers to prepare for Sunday worship with warm up rehearsal and prayer at 9:30 a.m.
In addition to motets, anthems, spirituals and hymns prepared for worship, the Chancel Choir regularly prepares and performs large scale choral-orchestral works with the Wayzata Symphony Orchestra, sometimes for presentation in worship, sometimes in concert. Recent collaborations include Rutter and Mozart Requiems, and Bach St. John Passion. Our collaboration and partnership with WCC orchestra-in-residence is an amazing, wonderful and unique opportunity for Chancel Choir members.
Thomas Paulson, Director
Dr. Diana Lee Lucker, Accompanist
Rich Carlson, President and Administrator
Nancy Anderson, Carolyn Riley, Bob Parish & Mary Ann Mead, Chancel Choir Council
To join or more information TPaulson@wayzatacommunitychurch.org or 952-473-8877
WCC CHANCEL CHOIR VISION STATEMENT
- We believe that the music we sing, as an expression of our faith, is both a gift from and an offering to God.
- We have a calling, to express God’s grace and love through song.
- We believe that each singer has special gifts for the ministry of music.
- We acknowledge that these gifts and the joy of music come from God.
- As recipients of God’s grace, we serve with a sense of gratitude for what God has given us.
- We dedicate the gift of song to the glory of God.
- Our primary purpose is worship leadership,
- We serve one another for mutual support and fulfillment.
- We foster growth both musically and spiritually by embracing both the challenge and the reward of distinguished choral literature.
- The dedication to excellence and consistent musical leadership in worship requires a high level of commitment from all our members.
- In singing together we covenant in fellowship with each other that each will do his or her part as an important member of the choir.
CHANCEL CHOIR PARTICIPATION
CHANCEL CHOIR is a welcoming community of adult singers who have the desire, interest and time to learn, rehearse and sing a broad variety of sacred repertoire. A one choir member put it, “We sing everything from Palestrina to Rutter.”
Volunteer members are the heart and soul of the choir. Their musical leadership enables the congregation to grow in their faith through God’s gift of music. As they share their musical gifts with the congregation they give back to God for God’s many blessings. Before joining volunteer singers meet with the director so that he can get to know them individually. In this way he can better lead the choir.
Section leaders are auditioned each August for a 10 month contract. Positions require excellent sight-reading skills and musicianship, and a servant-leadership spirit. In addition to leading their section, they regularly solo including collaborations with Wayzata Symphony, and sing as an ensemble.